Connecticut’s Ys strive to help young people develop into tomorrow’s leaders.
We help everyone improve their well-being, and we create strong, vibrant communities for all. Our legislative priorities support investments in programs that are open to people of all generations, backgrounds and perspectives, and expand access to the resources, opportunities and relationships that everyone needs to thrive.
The Connecticut Alliance of YMCAs advocates for public policy initiatives that promote Youth Development, Health Living, and Social Responsibility.
Please view the issues briefs or public testimony, under each category, to learn more about our legislative priorities.
- Advocate for appropriate funding levels and policies for state- supported Y programs, including school readiness, Care4Kids and after school programs.
- Support legislation that allows parents who are furthering their education to allow their children to be eligible for Care4Kids.
- Advocate for legislative initiative that will provide state- sponsored swimming lessons.
- Senate Bill 91, AN ACT CONCERNING A PROGRAM TO PROVIDE FREE SWIMMING LESSONS TO INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN
- Encourage changes to Healthy Restaurant Kids’ Meals that will address childhood obesity.
- Senate Bill 88, AN ACT CONCERNING CHILDREN’S MENUS
- Recommend that youth sports leagues post information on their registration websites regarding child abuse prevention.
- Support legislation that clearly defines that tax assessors may not levy property taxes on non-profits.