At the YMCA, we believe that keeping children safe around water is a necessity, not a luxury. Drowning can happen nearly anywhere with standing water and is the second leading cause of accidental death in children.
In addition to traditional swim lessons, CT YMCAs offer a national YMCA program called Safety Around Water – at no charge for participants. The goals of Safety Around Water are:
This course is taught by a certified instructor who teaches children two sets of skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. A typical session includes:
- Exercises to help children adjust to being in the water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets children can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- An activity that teaches children about specific safety topics such as pool rules and boating safety
- A fun game to encourage comfort and activity around water
- Each lesson includes a handout for parents and caregivers with additional water safety tips.